Contact Information

When should you contact the Family Court Commissioner? If you have questions about how to file or where to file your documents, you may want to contact the Commissioner’s staff.

You cannot contact the Commissioner “to talk about your case”. This is called ex parte communication, which means a communication conducted for the benefit of only one party. Ex parte communication is prohibited by law. You cannot contact the Commissioner or his staff to ask a question about the merits of your case or to complain about the other party; this is also ex parte communication.

  • If you need to contact the Green County Family Court about a matter, please contact staff at the address or telephone number below.
  • Please remember, the Family Court Commissioner will not talk to you about the merits of your case unless the other party is present.
  • Any information sent to the Family Court Commissioner must be copied to the other party in the case.
  • To avoid potential problems with ex parte communications, we do not provide an e-mail address for the Family Court Commissioner.
  • If you have a question on procedures in Family Court, you can email the Family Court staff. ¬†Staff may not give you legal advice.

Mailing Address

Commissioner Timothy J. Burns
Family Court Commissioner’s Office
Green County Justice Center
2841 6th Street
Monroe, WI 53566

Telephone Number and Email

Our email address is

The Family Court Office number is (608) 328-9429. If no one is available to take your call, please leave a message. Please include your name, your telephone number, your case number, and the reason for your call. Our office is not staffed full time but we will respond as soon as possible.

We do not have a FAX machine.

To Appear in Court by Telephone

Before you can appear at any hearing by telephone, you need to contact the Family Court Commissioner’s Office to request permission. You should call at least 2 days prior to your hearing. You will need a good reason to appear by telephone. In most cases, parties are expected to be present for their hearings.

If you receive permission to appear by telephone, you will be given the number to call for that appearance. This number is only for your court appearance.

There is only one incoming line in the Family Court Hearing Room. If more than one person wants to appear by phone, one of those calling in will need to make arrangements for a conference call.

Comments are closed.