If either party wants the Court to decide how things should happen until the date of a final hearing, that party can file an Order to Show Cause for Temporary Orders.

Temporary Orders usually deal with child custody, child placement (primary placement and periods of temporary placement), and child support. They may also include orders on spousal maintenance (alimony), family support, use of the marital residence, use of personal property, payment of debts, insurance coverage and how to handle medical bills. No division of property is made at the temporary hearing; only the issue of use of the property is decided.

You ask for a Temporary Orders hearing by filing an Order to Show Cause requesting Temporary Orders. At the hearing, you should be ready to tell the Commissioner what you want, and why you want it. It helps to write down the problems that you are having in the divorce, and how you think those problems can be solved temporarily.